Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of cases are the specialties at The Law Office of Steven A. Denny, P.C.?
Personal Injury, Wrongful Death, and Medical Malpractice Cases
Any personal injury or wrongful death case is of interest to us, whether it was caused by an act of medical negligence, auto accident, slip and fall, defective product, or work-related incident. We also litigate a few legal malpractice cases which involve serious injuries and gross legal negligence by other attorneys. These kinds of cases usually occupy about 80% of our time. The other 20% falls into our family law litigation and mediation practice.
After winning a $3.6 million verdict following a three week medical malpractice wrongful death trial, the case was appealed since the trial judge granted the doctor’s post-trial motion. Our verdict was upheld by the Appellate Court. See Walton v. Dirkes, 903 NE 2d 18 (1 Dist. 2009).
Legal Malpractice Cases
We litigate on behalf of clients whose former attorney committed malpractice. These cases always require winning the ‘case within the case’ since we have to prove that the client would have won the original case ‘but for’ the negligence of the previous attorney.
Steven Denny won a legal malpractice case for four siblings which resulted in new law by the Illinois Supreme Court which tolls the statute of limitations for a minor to sue attorneys. See Deluna v. Burciaga, 223 Ill.2d 49, 857 N.E.2d 229, 306 Ill.Dec.136 (2006).
Sexual Abuse Cases
We help victims of sexual abuse. These cases fall into various categories including the following: sexual exploitation in psychotherapy, physician-patient abuse, teacher-pupil abuse, coach-player abuse, clergy-parishioner abuse.
In 2003 the Chicago Bar Association appointed Mr. Denny to its Panel of Approved Attorneys for Victims of Sexual Abuse. As one result of his litigation experience in this area, he has also advised churches on the creation of effective child protection policies.
Workers Compensation Cases
People who are injured at work often need attorneys to assist them in obtaining the maximum benefits allowed by Illinois Law. Many employers will voluntarily pay medical bills (100%) and temporary total disability (66% of your average weekly wage) and NOT volunteer to pay permanent disability benefits which may be a sizable lump sum amount.
Family Law Cases
We represent husbands or wives in contested divorce litigation. Some of these cases involve battles for child custody, child support and post-decree modification, which may also involve appointment of guardians for children. Family Law cases also include Petitions for Orders of Protection and Adoption.
Pro Bono Cases
The law firm usually has one or more pro-bono publicum cases which involve work on my part without compensation “for the good of the public.” We believe every attorney has an obligation to regularly take on pro-bono cases.
Interested in being a Referring Attorney?
Contingency Fee Referrals
Any attorney who wishes to refer a client to the Law Office of Steven A. Denny, P.C. for a personal injury, wrongful death, medical malpractice, legal malpractice, or sexual abuse case will retain legal responsibility for the process of the litigation. We will faithfully communicate with you regarding the status of your client’s case.
At the successful conclusion of the case, we would be thrilled to forward a referral fee check to you from the attorney’s fees recovered. The usual amount of the referral fee is one-third of the total fees.
If you are contacted by a client who may have a potential case, someone in our office would be happy to discuss any questions you have by phone or in person. Contact us directly at 312-236-6100. Also, feel free to fax over copies of records (medical, police, ambulance, etc.) you may already have.
Family Law Referrals
We sincerely appreciate receiving referrals of family law clients, but are unable to pay a referral fee for family law cases as they are billed on an hourly basis. We will triage every family law case to determine primarily if mediation with CivilAgreement® Mediation Services, Inc., is a possibility. If so, we will proceed with a complimentary “orientation” for both husband and wife to learn about the mediation process. If mediation is not viable, we will advocate strenuously on behalf of the client as their litigating trial attorney.
We always seek quality attorneys to refer clients outside our areas of practice. Please contact us with a request that you be listed on the attorney referral directory with your areas of practice clearly identified. Thank you for referring your clients to us.
What Verdicts and Settlements have been won by the Law Office of Steven A. Denny, P.C.?
- $15 million – Medical malpractice, male permanently incapacitated by failure to diagnose blood disorder.
- $ 7 million – Medical malpractice, child brain injury due to intubation error.
- $7 million – Medical malpractice, obstetric malpractice; mother rendered brain dead following C-section.
- $ 4.6 million – Medical malpractice, death due to punctured atery during routine surgical procedure.
- $4 million – Medical malpractice, obstetric malpractice; child with severe cerebral palsy.
- $3.6 million – Medical malpractice, 34-year-old death due to failure to diagnose Leukemia.
- $1.5 million – Auto accident, pedestrians hit by 80-year-old driver.
- $1.5 million – Police brutality, client’s leg amputated.
- $1.1 million – Legal malpractice, lawyers botched a medical malpractice case.
- $1.0 million – Product liability, amputated hand in tortilla factory defective machine.
- $700,000 – Sexual abuse by therapist, young college student abused by her counselor.
- $500,000 – Medical malpractice, neurosurgery negligence, child died following brain surgery.
- $500,000 – Dental malpractice, wrongful death of patient who died during dental procedure.
- $386,000 – Sexual abuse by Catholic school teacher.
- $350,000 – Work related injury, third party negligence.
- $300,000 – Product liability case, adverse reaction from medication.
- $285,000 – Slip and fall case.
- $275,000 – Legal malpractice, former attorney failed to attach proper certificate in a medical malpractice case.
- $275,000 – Slip and fall case.
- $250,000 – Slip and fall case.
- $166,000 – Product liability case, class action for defective hip implant.
- $100,000 – Landlord liability, minor burned by space heater. (Policy limit received).
- $100,000 – Auto case, client hit by rear-end collision. (Policy limit received).
- $20,000 – Auto case, client hit while crossing street. (Policy limit received).
- $15,000 – Auto case, client rear-ended (Policy limit received).